The Newquay to Par rail line is set to remain closed for another week as emergency repairs continue.
Network Rail has advised passengers that the route will now be closed until Friday, 13th December.
Last week, engineers working on the line discovered that a retaining wall on an embankment near Pontsmill Viaduct had collapsed into the river below, displacing a significant amount of ballast—the stones that hold the tracks in place.
At the time, the line was already closed for planned engineering works as part of the Mid Cornwall Metro project, with reopening initially scheduled for Sunday, 1st December. However, the retaining wall issue is unrelated to those works, which were completed as planned.
Network Rail is now focused on repairing the wall and reinstating the ballast, with heavy equipment being moved to the remote site. Ground surveys were completed earlier this week.
Rail replacement services, which had been running during the Mid Cornwall Metro works, will continue to operate on the same timetable.
Chris Fuoco, Network Rail’s director for Devon and Cornwall, said:
“We’re sorry for the disruption as a result of the emergency repair work taking place on the Newquay line.
“Safety is our top priority, and we need to close the line while these repairs are carried out to ensure that everyone remains safe while travelling. Our team is working with our contractors to complete this work as quickly as possible; however, the line will remain closed until Friday, 13th December, while this takes place.
“I’d like to thank passengers for their patience while we carry out these vital repairs.”
Sharon Holloway, GWR station manager for West Cornwall, said:
"We are really sorry for the disruption that this extra work may cause, but the safety of our customers is our first priority.
"The rail replacement service that has been operating since works began will continue, and we remind those travelling to check their journey beforehand."
Expanded Newquay rail services begin as Mid Cornwall Metro launches first phase
Rain denies Newquay cricketers as St Newlyn East enjoy successful weekend
Newquay boxer Brad Pauls to defend IBF International title in Southampton
Historic locomotive repainted in colours of life saving charity
Police continue search for missing woman with links to Newquay
New community artwork unveiled at Newquay station
Newquay Town Council to begin work on new Mount Wise Gardens play park
Newquay RNLI operations manager retires after more than 50 years of service
Documentary screening to take place in Newquay highlighting sewage pollution campaign
Boardmasters launches competition to showcase emerging artists
Hourly Mid Cornwall Metro rail service to launch this month
Community Eid celebration to take place on Newquay’s Killacourt
Artist’s night-time Newquay artwork wins mural trail contest
Documentary screening on sewage pollution to be held in Newquay
Summer night bus service to return with extended route
Police issue fresh appeal in search for missing woman last seen in Cornwall
Newquay family appeal for support as Paddle for Life marks anniversary
RAF St Mawgan hosts air cadets for flying experience programme
Search for missing woman in coastal operation near Newquay